Repost - How do servers and browsers treat unknown extensions? (long)

Subject: Repost - How do servers and browsers treat unknown extensions? (long)
From: Amanda Baird <abaird -at- MAIL -dot- OPEN-SOFTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 10:56:30 -0400

I sent this earlier, but it may have gotten jumbled in the process. I
apologize if you already got this, but please help if you can!!

****

This may be off topic for this list - but I really need help and I'm having
a hard time solidifying this "problem" to a simple query/statement. Maybe
some of you have come across this issue...

Here's the question: I have an application that I want to put online for
download. Then, when you have the app downloaded, you click on a button on
a web site, which then launches the app - this application is for use
online, so it is always launched off a website. Now, this app has a new,
unknown file extension - no browsers or servers "know" about it (we haven't
registered the extension yet). And, we want to use only one button - you
click on the same singular button whether or not you have the program
already - if you have it already (you've downloaded & executed the .exe),
then a click on the button will launch the application, and if you don't
have it, a click on the button will send you to a download page. The
problem, is that the file that the click on the button initiates is a new
and unknown file extension - web browsers and servers don't know about it.
So, my question is this: Is there any way to associate a new file extension
that is unknown to a web server and a web browser, and have the server
redirect the browser to a download page IF the user doesn't have the app
already installed, OR if the user DOES have it installed, then launch the
application?

We can register our new file extension with IANA, but we're trying to avoid
that right now...

Also, any pointers to where it details how different browsers (IE, Netscape,
Apache, etc.) treat unknown file extensions?

Any ideas or suggestions? Please feel free to reply to me directly, if you
think it's inappropriate for the whole list (abaird -at- mail -dot- open-softech -dot- com).

Thank you so much!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=