ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes--READ ME

Subject: ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes--READ ME
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:27:31 -0600

Gang,

We announced planned list changes a little over a week
ago. These changes include a change to the TECHWR-L
site to make part of it accessible to members only,
selling ads on the site, and making additional changes
to the list (no free ads, etc.) starting
as soon as we move to a new list host. The move to a new
list host is necessary simply because Okstate has been
amply generous with server resources over the past 6 1/2
years, and they've gently suggested that, if we have a
place to go, we should probably consider moving.

Making part of the site accessible to "members" only,
selling ads on the site, and charging for ads on the list
are approaches that we thought would be effective ways of
covering the costs of a new list host. However, the response
to these options has been distinctly less than overwhelming.

Here are the givens:
Moving TECHWR-L to a dedicated list host would cost (at list prices)
up to $36,000/month (that's not a typo). Realistically speaking,
after negotiations and shopping around, we'd be looking at costs
of around $600-$700/month for server access alone.

Moving TECHWR-L to a new server (co-located somewhere) and
purchasing and administering the software ourselves would
cost around $400 - $500/month, plus $3000 up front for software.
This would allow additional lists (on focused topics or just
for chatting) and support additional services as appropriate,
but require more administration overhead.

Moving TECHWR-L to Onelist or the like would cost nearly
nothing. YMMV when it comes to free list hosting services, but
we've seen frequent (weekly or more often) delays in posting
and random messages that vanish and reappear. This might be
acceptable, or might not. We don't know.

Closing TECHWR-L down would cost exactly nothing.

And other issues to consider:
Raycomm, Inc., will not subsidize this level of costs for TECHWR-L.
Since I started the list, I've done it for nothing more than
thank yous, and Deb's done the same with the Web site. Conservatively,
we put in about 200 hours/year on TECHWR-L (which is time that
we're not billing to clients, so could be considered a donation of
_well_ over $10,000 annually). That's fine--that was my
choice when I started the list, and Deb's when she started
work on the Web site. For both of us, that's a service that we're
happy to provide to the community. However, RayComm, Inc., will not
pay $6000+ in direct costs annually to keep TECHWR-L going.

Options that we've considered as viable include:
* accepting donations of server or co-location space
* accepting a donation of the necessary software (Lyris or Listserv
would be required to provide this level of service)
* accepting other contributions in the form of memberships,
sponsorships, etc.
(Obviously, all of the above would be amply acknowledged
on the list and on the site)
* moving the list to Onelist or a similar service
* shutting down the list completely

There are undoubtedly other alternatives that we haven't considered,
and most of the options above have substantial downsides
(e.g., if the server is co-located at a company with a
substantial consulting, writing, or software development
presence, would the list be able to continue to be a fully
impartial discussion forum?). However, the bottom line
is that the list must move, RayComm won't absorb the costs,
and RayComm won't take a substantial gamble that the
costs will somehow be covered before the bills are due.

Consider this _open_ for discussion on the list, or feel
free to comment to me or Deb offline (ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com,
debray -at- raycomm -dot- com).

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=