Re: ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes--READ ME

Subject: Re: ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes--READ ME
From: jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:11:48 -0700

Title: RE: ADMIN: More on upcoming list changes--READ ME

I'm in on this one. I have no problem with subscribing at the levels that have been discussed.

As for rule violators, I support the idea of a 30 day suspension. I also support excommunication for egregious repeat offenders. It seems to me that when subscribing to this list, the rules are clearly stated. Buying a subscription does not buy anyone the "right" to violate the rules. If I paid $12 for access to this list, I really wouldn't care about the money, prorated or otherwise, if I got tossed off for repeated failure to comply with the rules.

One potentially major problem - establishing a merchant account that will accept e-commerce is an expensive undertaking that requires (in many cases) contracts of about 4 years. I am developing an e-commerce site and my client had the most trouble finding a semi-affordable merchant bank. She had to sign a four year contract. Their servicing fees would eat up a chunk of any subscription.

I would prefer to write a check and use the old snail mail. It is only slightly less convenient and all of my money would go to a more useful purpose than supporting a banker somewhere.

That's my two cents worth.

-John