Re: Suspending paying customers

Subject: Re: Suspending paying customers
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:20:36 -0700

This post is not in response to any single suggestion dealing with
suspending or revoking posting privileges. Since I've noted several posts
suggesting that such actions would be "considered okay", without a nay
comment, I'll post a dissenting opinion.

With this list moving to a paid service, the tech writers list will be
viewed by the law as a business. That means that under the law, if you pay
for a service you must receive that service. If an individual is suspended
from posting for a month, there is certainly no reason that person's
subscription to the list could not be extended by the same amount of time.
At least then, the legal requirements for service from a pre-paid
subscription would be met. If an individual is removed from the list, then
the unearned income from their subscription, that portion of time remaining
on the individual's subscription, should be refunded. Again, such actions
would meet the legal requirements of the law.

Eric has enough problems with moving this list to a different service, and
resuming the list as a paid subscription service. I would hate to see Eric
facing legal problems over suspension or revocation of an individual's
subscription, thereby not meeting the legal commitment entered into through
a pre-paid subscription.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=