Re: ADMIN: payment options for list membership

Subject: Re: ADMIN: payment options for list membership
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:56:15 -0700

Lisa Higgins wrote (among other things):
> Cisco
> recently announced that they have the technology to allow cable-based
> internet services to slow down access to domains that compete with them or
> their business partners.

I took a business law class recently, and one point of internet law, or lack
thereof, was frightening:

If you open a bakery across the street from my bakery, and I hire fifty
goons to stand in your doorway preventing real customers from entering, the
goons and I can be arrested and fined.

If you open a website or listserv like TECHWR-L and I set up an old PC to do
nothing other then barrage your site with spam and blank hits, thus shutting
your site or listserv down, there ain't diddly that can be done about it.

There is no law - not even so called anti-spam laws - that would grant a
court date.

We need some internet laws, but not the ones that that boob and internet
inventor Al Gore squeeze out of their shallow heads.

Just my buck-three-ninety.

Barry Kieffer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=