Re: importing EPS graphics in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: importing EPS graphics in FrameMaker
From: "Bell, John" <JBell -at- PARAGREN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:35:11 -0400

Hi Melissa!

On TECHWR-L you said:
> In FrameMaker, and in the subsequent .pdf file, the icons
>all appear to be too dark. It is important that I get a
> closer match to the "real" color. So, I tried converting
> the bitmaps instead to color EPS, first using Paint Shop
> Pro and again using Canvas. In both cases, the color
> appears truer in FrameMaker ...

Don't judge the color by what you see on the monitor,
that's meaningless unless you have a custom ColorSync
profile for your monitor. Judge the color by how the
output looks on the final printer. If your printing
vendor has supplied you with a ColorSync profile for
the printer they will use on your job, then you can
just drop that in your System:ColorSync Profiles folder.
(Make sure you go to the Apple web site and upgrade to
the latest version of ColorSync.)

If you have a ColorSync profile for your proofer, you
can do some test prints. You can buy some color management
software that will "merge" your proofer and final printer
profiles and give you a new proofer profile that mimics
the behavior of your final printer, thus you can be assured
that the colors you get on your proofer will match your
final output.

Without profiles of the devices involved (monitors, scanners,
proofers, offset printers) you have no control over the final
output. If you are serious about getting accurate, controlled
colors you need to either use spot Pantone or Focoltone colors
(which works on all platforms) or use Apple ColorSync. Write
me offline if you have any more questions.

Enjoy!
--- John Bell
jbell -at- paragren -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=