Re: alternative to numbering?

Subject: Re: alternative to numbering?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 08:21:41 -0700

Hello, Joanne...

I assume you are talking about Word.

>From what I understand from your post, you aren't
going to make both of them happy. One wants numbers
and one doesn't. Whether you make the number a number,
a letter, or anythng inbetween, one wants numbering
and one doesn't

I just got done with a manual and since each chapter
had a chapter number in the footer, page number, TOC,
and Index, I thought it made sense to include the
chapter number in the name of the chapter (Heading1).

What do I know. The "management" that I took my lead
from didn't want the number showing in the Heading1
chapter title. I guess when the user sees in the Index
that they need to go to Chapter 6, they count the tabs
from the front of the manual each time.

OK...made the number 1pt in size, same color as the
background, and no space afterwards. Now I know the
number is there, I can use numbering, and the client
is happy.

Now, until they make up their mind, you can change the
attributes of the number once for each level, then use
the Style organizer to update the .dot, then use that
to update all the files, and they can both get what
they want, though it may be a couple hours inbetween.

BTW...My set of manuals (65,000 words) will also be
translated into two other languages (and the software
gets delivered 9/1)...But my contract is over tomorrow
and I'M NOT GONNA BE HERE!!! YEAH!!!

--- Joanne Grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM> wrote:
> Hi, everyone! Once again I find myself in search of
> information that
> I'm sure at least some of you have run into.
>
> We are producing two rather large docs (about 700
> pages each) that will
> be translated into multiple languages. because of
> this, management wants
> to move to a numbered heading system - like the
> military, where the
> Heading 1 is "Section 1", heading 2s are "Section
> 1.1" heading threes
> are "Section 1.1.1" and so on.
>
> The doc manager would like to avoid this for
> aesthetic reasons. Has
> anyone used an effective alternative.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -joanne

> Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
> Write Angles www.writeangles.com
>
> In any great organization it is far, far safer to be
> wrong
> with the majority than to be right alone.
> -John Kenneth Galbraith

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> your message.
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Check out topic summaries at
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/topics.htm
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com