Re: Legal liability, take II

Subject: Re: Legal liability, take II
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:03:04 -0400

On 8/5/1999 11:53 AM, Geoff Hart (Geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca) wrote:

>While I'd like to agree with you, your example misses the
>mark; the comparable situation would be if you paid your
>$500 to join the golf club, asked the staff golf pro how to
>swing, and he showed you the wrong way to do it and you
>hurt your back. Under those circumstances, you could
>probably sue him.

While I'm no lawyer, I think your example misses the mark, too. Asking
the advice of someone on a paid Techwr-l would be like asking another
golfer on the green with you to show you how she thinks you should swing.
She's no expert... just another paying member of the club. You take her
advice at your own risk.

Of course, the owner of the list (listening, Eric?) might be open to more
liability, as an "employee" of the club.

Perhaps we should get a real lawyer's opinion before going off
half-cocked looking for liability waivers and so many disclaimers people
will be afraid to say "Use only one period after a sentence" without
being sued.

Of course, that might be a good thing.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=