alternative to numbering

Subject: alternative to numbering
From: Anita Haeems <anita -at- TRILLIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:03:43 -0700

Hello Joanne,

I work in a documentation-intensive company where we are also at this point
reconsidering the use of numbered headings. In fact, we've had some
documents with headings to the extent of Section 2.3.7.98.

I'm very interested in the alternatives to this as well.

-Anita.

We are producing two rather large docs (about 700 pages each) that will
be translated into multiple languages. because of this, management wants
to move to a numbered heading system - like the military, where the
Heading 1 is "Section 1", heading 2s are "Section 1.1" heading threes
are "Section 1.1.1" and so on.

The doc manager would like to avoid this for aesthetic reasons. Has
anyone used an effective alternative.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=