documenting GUI designs for programmers

Subject: documenting GUI designs for programmers
From: Alison Tartt <akt -at- POSTOFFICE -dot- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:17:34 -0500

Can anyone point me toward a resource for documenting high-level GUI screen
captures that the programmers can use to write the code?

I've been asked to meet with the design group, then create prototypical
screens using the Visual Basic forms tool (which I still have to learn),
paste these into a document, and then explain the functionality of the
gizmos and windows on the interface (with cross-references to the
software's functional specs--a separate document).

I was hoping there might be a template out there somewhere that would
already have a basic structure, like: here's the main window, here are the
menus and their choices and what they do, here are the buttons and what
they do, here's the kind of info that will go in the status bar, etc. etc.

I'm accustomed to writing user manuals, which I've always organized by
process. This needs to be organized by visual component and in layers (I
think).

This may be very a old-hat query that is addressed somewhere in the
archives (I couldn't find it, though), so please feel free to reply
off-line.

Thanks,
Alison

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=