Re: Multilevel Index Entry with Separator Anomaly

Subject: Re: Multilevel Index Entry with Separator Anomaly
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:32:39 -0700

Damien Barkan wrote:

> When I compile the file (with INDEX_SEPARATORS=":" in the
> Options section of the HPJ file), the resulting index shows:
>
> lamp, continuous:configuring
> selecting
>
> After a little experimentation, it appears to me that the first
> (alphabetically) subkeyword winds up on the first line after the
> colon, while the other ones appear correctly.
>
> Is there any workaround for this?

Create at least one index entry that looks like this:

lamp, continuous:

In some cases it's usfull to put a space after the colon.

That'll give you:

lamp, continuous
configuring
selecting

where "lamp, continuous" is a pointer to the topic where you added the
"short form" index entry.

I prefer to put the "short form" entry on ALL topics. If you do, the "lamp,
continuous" entry displays the Topics Found dialog box, from which you can
choose which subtopic you want to view.

Hope that helps!

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3.1, still the easiest way to create and maintain
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=