career advice please!

Subject: career advice please!
From: Samantha Wrigley <samantha -dot- wrigley -at- TTC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:46:57 -0400

Hello everyone!

I was hoping to get specific career advice from more experienced technical
writers. Long-term, I am hoping to work in a large IT firm as a technical
writer/information designer. I guess my dream would be IBM, Microsoft, or a
large software company. Could people possibly let me know how they think I
could get to this goal? I know, for example, that I should probably start
taking some programming courses. Any help is GREATLY appreciated--this
list is such a wonderful resource.

I currently have:
*M.A. in English Lit.
*3yrs private consulting exp. doing editing/government grant
proposals/report writing
*tech writing experience writing a user manual for SunMedia corp. Currently
write standards and procedures for the Quality Division of IT at the TTC
*knowledge of HTML through Tango, DreamWeaver and HomeSite, and SGML
through Author/Editor
*knowledge of FrameMaker, QuarkXPress, Corel Draw, Office, and PhotoShop

What can I be doing to reach my goals? Feel free to email me privately and
avoid cluttering up the list. I could always provide a summary if other
people were interested.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=