Re: Interviews and Portfolios

Subject: Re: Interviews and Portfolios
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:37:13 -0700

Eric thoughtfully wrote:
> An employer is certainly within her rights to demand a portfolio.
> She is not, however, within her rights to ask the candidate if she can
> photocopy the samples.

While the employer is within her rights to ask for a portfolio, I am
within my rights to say, "thanks, but no thanks." I do not want to
work for someone who knows so little about what we do for a living
that they ask for a portfolio. I am not a graphic artist or painter.
I am a technical writer. I went through two telephone interviews for
a 'position' with a company in New Jersey. After the second
interview, the first person I interviewed with then asked me to submit
writing samples. I told them "thanks, but no thanks." The head
hunter called and asked why and I explained that I would not submit
samples, and that I considered the interview process finished. If
really necessary I would bring some samples to discuss at the
interview, but these thigs were not mine to send copies all over
creation. My objective is to work for someone who knows what I do,
not someone who needs a writing sample to evaluate a technical writer.

C. R. (Cam) Whetstone
old timey technical writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=