Re: verb to use with plural in parentheses

Subject: Re: verb to use with plural in parentheses
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:35:03 -0400

Personally I detest the use of (s) and find that it is frequently an excuse
for lazy writing or lazy ifnromation-gathering.

I say that because I see it used all over the place, usually by content
experts or programmers rather than writers. I've even seen Comment(s) as a
table heading. Did the author really think that users would feel obligated
to write more if the heading were simply Comments???

When I get a source document that contains the (s) expression, or when I
update a document with that expression, I change it to plural. If the
result is unclear, I might say "one or more...."

Guess this is just a pet peeve of mine...

Nancy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=