Re: Protecting the server?

Subject: Re: Protecting the server?
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- SPSI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:37:51 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:
Seriously, though, I suggest you reconsider your audience
before choosing a wording: If only a system administrator
will do the procedure, I think you're being unnecessarily
cautious; most of these people have spent enough time
rebuilding servers after they slipped up that they approach
any such tasks with appropriate caution.

I respect Geoff's insights and tend to agree with him by default. In this
case, however, assuming that the title of System Administrator implies a
certain level of experience and expertise is dangerous. At our customers
many System Administrators have their position because their company
appointed them and we trained them. Period.
In a past life, I once dealt with a Network Administrator for 6 months
before I found out that this administrator did not know how to format a
diskette.
Of couse, the basic axiom applies: Know your audience.

Jim Shaeffer.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=