Re: communication with programmers

Subject: Re: communication with programmers
From: Mary Paliotta <Mary -at- AMAREX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:41:09 -0400

I would say that it doesn't matter whether a GOOD manager would be able to
recognize this problem since, hearing your current situation, your ACTUAL
manager obviously doesn't have a clue on the best way to make you produce
useful and effective documentation to the company. From a project
management point of view, being forced to continually search out needles in
a haystack unnecessarily is a criminal waste of time.

In my experience, I've found that you need to decide whether your situation
is capable of reform, and if so, hunker down and make as good (and
elaborate) a presentation as possible in order to bring to your manager's
attention that-yes, there is another to do this. Certainly you are probably
in the best position possible to produce this plan and determine the actual
details of how, when, and why they should implement your suggestions. But
be extremely clear, specific, and don't leave out the tangible costs/losses
to the Company/Dept. for each issue you bring up should they continue with
the status quo. It's the starkness of reason that seems to best cut through
the bureaucracy, chronic busyness, and relentless fog that the business is
forever caught up in.

My advice anyway, Mary :)