Re: Is "WebTop" a real word?

Subject: Re: Is "WebTop" a real word?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:50:51 -0400

On 8/12/99 11:47 AM, Anna Keeler (akeeler -at- MAGMA -dot- CA) wrote:

>Is this a valid word, and if so - should it be one or two words? Is there
>another word that would be better?

It's as valid as any other industry jargon: the more widespread its use,
the more valid it becomes.

In this case, I think you're starting some jargon, rather than
perpetuating some existing jargon, in which case it can be two words or
one, your choice. (Try not to let the power go to your head...)

That said, you may want to find some existing jargon to use instead,
depending on your audience. I've seen "home page" used to describe the
user's home page, but also the initial page of a site. I'm not sure
that's standard usage, though.

I would refrain from creating jargon if something else exists (and I'm
sure others on this list will jump in with suggestions), but if you do
have to create something, I think WebTop is a little confusing. Just my
opinion, of course; I didn't know what it means until you explained it.

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=