Re: Multiple versions of the same basic document

Subject: Re: Multiple versions of the same basic document
From: Kevin McGowan <mcgowan -at- LORAN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:32:24 -0400

Hi Susan,

A few questions about your question...

1- How large is the document?
Typically, the larger the document set, the better chance that using SGML
will help you out. However, if we're talking about a 50 page user guide, it
might not be worth it.

2- This relates to #1, but do you already have a DTD? If you do, then by all
means, use Frame+SGML. If you do not, do you have the time and expertise to
develop a DTD?

3- Have you considered translation?
If the document is intended to be the same, but in three different languages
(English, Spanish, Hebrew), then Frame really isn't going to do much for
you, if you use SGML or not.

4- Can you use Conditional Text? If you are producing three English manuals,
each using commands in a different language, you might be able to get away
using the Conditional Text feature. However, I have found that to be a bit
more trouble than it's worth...

I have used plain old FrameMaker, as well as FrameMaker+SGML. As far as
"document maintenance" goes, there was little difference. We found that
using an SGML DTD eliminated a few problems, but introduced several others.
You have to be very careful when using Frame+SGML, for example, you must use
an element catalog instead of the paragraph tag catalog to add text to your
document (a couple of novices I worked with added any old element and then
used the paratag list to layout the information....a complete nightmare).

Basically, if you're going to switch to an SGML environment, prepare for a
learning curve and new problems you didn't anticipate.

So, to offer a synopsis of my long and confusing missive: I don't think
Frame+SGML will necessarily help you.

If you are producing the entire manual in different languages, consider
translation. If you are producing three English manuals with different GUI
commands, consider using the evil conditional text feature.

Surely, there will be more comments coming.

-Kevin

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.
>
> The product for which I am writing documentation will be sold in three
> different markets. Three editions of the product are being developed. Each
> edition has the same functionalities, but uses different language on the
> interface, etc. I am planning on creating a set for one of the
> editions and
> then modifying the contents to reflect the language used in the other two
> editions.
>
> Would Frame maker + SGML (rather than plain Frame maker) will help me to
> manage the documentation more efficiently?
>
> Thanks in advance,

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=