Re: Callouts on photos

Subject: Re: Callouts on photos
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:46:18 -0400

I've used Scott's method, too, and it works in any package that lets you
group objects, stretch, and rotate. (Interleaf comes to mind <vbg>)

However, once you have done that, even in Word (shudder), the next step
does not require anything as big and hairy as PhotoShop.

Whatcha do is this:

1. Convert the doc to a PDF by the method of your choice (Distiller
always being the best choice, but that's another issue)

2. Open the doc in Acrobat Exchange (might work in Reader, but if you
Distiller, you have Exchange, right?)

3. Use the graphics selection tool to lasso the area that includes the
illustration and callouts. In Acrobat 3, you can launch the graphics
selection tool with Ctrl-Shift-5; in Acrobat 4, you have to click and
hold the text selection button, wait for the button submenu to expand,
then slide over and select the graphics tool.

4. With the area selected, switch to the magnifying glass tool and
enlarge the page as needed to achieve the resolution you want in the
finished web page. Even if this puts the edges of the selected area off
the screen temporarily, you will still be able to copy the whole area.

5. Press Ctrl-C to copy the selected graphic.

6. Using MS Photo Editor (ships with Office) or any other lightweight
raster image editor (even Paint), open a new blank document.

7. Press Ctrl-V to paste the image on the clipboard into the new
document.

8. Adjust the image size if needed and save as a .gif or .jpg, depending
on the image content.

Note that this procedure takes less time to do than to read about. I'd
say allow yourself thirty seconds per illustration.

Dick

Scott Havens wrote:

> Chris,
>
> What has worked best for me is this. I make my callout lines out of two
> separate lines, one a narrow black line and the other a slightly wider
white
> one. You just put the black one on top of the white one and group them
> together. Then you can size, move, rotate, etc., as needed to fit the
> situation. (This, of course, is basically what we did in "the good old
> days" when the photos were waxed down to the mechanical sheet and special
> black-white callout lines were stuck on top of them... I guess I'm
showing
> my age, but it does make the callouts stand out very well against the
> varying shades of the photo.)
>
> To do this on line, I'd recommend something like CorelDRAW! or Adobe
> Illustrator. Paintshop Pro might let you do it, but it tends to be a pain
> in PhotoShop.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=