Re: Relative terms on interface

Subject: Re: Relative terms on interface
From: "H.Durstling" <sinico -at- NBNET -dot- NB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 02:07:36 -0300

Amongst other features, our program enables users to generate reports.--
from simple,
>text-only-style to slick, colourful ones with logos, etc. Currently, you
>modify these options by selecting one of three radio buttons on a tab. The
>radio buttons are labeled, in this order:
>Enhanced, General, Plain.

Clearly these are pretty lame labels...

==========

Hi Darren:

Sounds like you've run yourself up against single-word-overload. When you
try to squeeze more work out of one single word than it's built for it gets
a bit cryptic. Have you considered using explanatory sub-heads? They help
greatly to tell the reader more clearly what awaits him. I'd be inclined to
say something like

ENHANCED
Allows colors, logos and graphic effects

BASIC
For text-only reports

But I don't know if your buttons/tabs allow this.

Cheers,
Hans Durstling
Moncton, Canada

Freelance writing. Feature stories, technical ad copy, clear manuals, bid
documents, simple english, videos, speeches. Email for publication and
client list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=