Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing

Subject: Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing
From: "Campbell, Art" <artc -at- NORTHCHURCH -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:39:18 -0400

As another tech writer who got here from journalism, and has stayed, here's
my take
on the "career" differences....
1. Tech writing pays roughly twice as much as the same level gig in print
journalism.
2. The number of jobs in journalism has been shrinking for more than a
decade and shows
no sign of stopping. I don't know what tech writing, by itself, has been
doing, but
high tech in general is still growing exponentially.
3. Daily newspaper journalism, at least, is lots more fun than tech writing.
But in tech
writing, I get paid to play with words, photos, and computers... which
ain't bad at all.

Art

Art Campbell
Technical Publications