Re: "In" the field or "On" the field

Subject: Re: "In" the field or "On" the field
From: Brad <kiwi -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:10:22 -0700

> Inquiring minds want to know which of these phrases represent the correct
> standard:
>
> In the XYZ field, type correct data.
>
> or
>
> On the XYZ field, type correct data.

I would opt for "In the XYZ field, type..."

I particularly like the syntax that you use in maintaining the linear
sequence of the task. That is, you *orient* the reader *first* with an
introductory prepositional phrase and then tell them what to do (type
correct data). One thing I find annoying is when the writer *reverses*
sequence and orientation, such as: "Type correct data in the XYZ field on
the Blahidy tab." Your syntax is true to the process and flow.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=