Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing

Subject: Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 06:35:45 -0600

You know, one of the most interesting aspects of technical
writing, as well as life in general, is how different
people's experiences vary so widely.

(This is a little tangential from the tools discussion, but
I'd hate to leave this topic and have people new to the list
think that this describes all tech writing environments. )

Bev Lockhart wrote:
> FrameMaker, Robohelp, C++, maybe Viso, and Photoshop (so you can create
and
> minipulate screen shots), and let's see.... how 'bout .... if you know NT
> and have your MCSE, you are stylin'! (Oh, and don't forget Word, the
beast
> we all love to hate.) Those are the bare minimums..... If you want to get
> into the Web stuff, basic HTML on up through ASP. (Is that what it's
> called?) Yahoo.

Some of the above, but certainly not nearly all, are useful
tools to have when you're trying to break in. That said, rather
than learning the _tools_, put your time and energy into learning
one tool of each type (word processing, graphics, maybe help)
very well, then the rest of your time into
learning technologies. The more technologies you know or know about,
the better off you are.

> journalism). Tech writing is the absolutely most boring thing in the
> world, and I am certainly going to get flamed for this!

And, of course, your milage may vary. I like technologies--
nearly anything I can think of. (I was one of the geeky
kids who took radios apart almost compulsively and read
anything under the sun, which together means I was probably
destined or fated for this profession.) For me, it's great,
and of the many emotions that tech writing evokes, boring
isn't _ever_ one of the words I'd think of. I've been paid
(sometimes poorly, sometimes well) to write about everything
from computerized Lego sets--back in 1991, when it was far more
surprising and exciting than now--to heavy machinery to computers
and networks to HTML to auto mechanics. When I get tired of
looking at technologies and tools, I get to exercise people
skills, which are as critical to effective technical communication
as knowing the technologies.

> If you like looking at the same boring sh... i mean stuff day after day,
> and dealing with engineers who can't speak clearly (or look at you askance
> coz you don't understand them) and PMs who are on to the next product,
> leaving you in the dust to document their product with very little or no
> input, go baby go! (Oh, and the stress certainly isn't worth it... nor is
> the pay as good as everybody claims!)

Or, depending on where you are and what you're doing...(Nothing
personal, Bev, this is just a different perspective.)

If you like new challenges and new things to learn day after day,
and dealing with engineers who clearly ask your opinion (because
they value it), and being able to affect the schedule and product
(because you're a real member of the team), leaving you with
full access to source code and every build and every engineer,
so you can produce _GOOD_ documentation, go for it! (Sure, there's
stress, but regular doses of reality and perspective help with
that considerably, and the pay can most certainly be better than
many claim.)

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=