Re: What do you want to be called? (also: detail-oriented

Subject: Re: What do you want to be called? (also: detail-oriented
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:13:16 -0700

I've considered creating a special business card for myself
that reads "Self-appointed custodian of detail."

Tying this to another thread, I believe it is possible for
writers who are less accustomed to focus on the detail
aspect to learn to work with details.

As a detail person myself, I did not find the original question
offensive. I have worked with a number of tech writers
over the years, and many have told me they have learned
a lot about how to do the detail stuff by watching me and
listening to the kinds of questions I ask.

I see "details" not only in the issue of following consistent
style and structure in each document, but also in staying
aware of word choice as you write or edit your work. I
consider it essential to ask whether each description uses
the most precise words to convey the concept, and whether
any critical information has been omitted.

Some writers are more able to do this than others, and
some are more willing to work with editors who point
out this level of detail than others. I have worked with
writers of each of these types, and the most satisfying
relationships have been those where each person is
aware of his or her strengths, and appreciates the
opportunity to collaborate with someone whose abilities
are complementary.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=