Re: Word Documents to PDF Style - Quick and dirty

Subject: Re: Word Documents to PDF Style - Quick and dirty
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- HOME -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:28:01 -0500

Deborah Cooper's boss wants "locked" Word docs that act similar to PDF.

My answer, assuming the Word doc is not a form, is to password protect it
for forms. A Word doc that contains no form fields, yet is password
protected for forms, is locked up as tight as any PDF, but opens with Word
instead of Acrobat.

The tradeoffs? This bullet-proof document lacks Acrobat's navigational
tools, and any Word hyperlinks are unreachable beneath the the doc's new
armor.

BTW, forget read-only. It doesn't keep anybody from screwing with your
pretty document's layout. It just keeps them from screwing it up and then
saving it with the same name in the same location.

wrote:
>Hi, everyone,
>
>I have a question about PDF-type files. My boss says that he
>knows you can create a read-only (locked) Word document file
>that acts similar to PDF files. We are trying to find a way to
>create these type of documents using just Word so that we can
>put our documentation on CD-ROM for distribution. Thanks for
>the help!
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Ed Gregory
http://www.members.home.net/edgregory/search1.htm