Using (R) too soon?

Subject: Using (R) too soon?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:51:14 -0400

Brian Doonan wondered <<Can I use "R" to signify
"registered" for a technology that my company might get
trademarked in the near future or is this illegal?>>

Our staff librarian, who knows something about these things,
informed me that the correct use is "TM" when you've
applied for (but not yet registered) the trademark. The
information I have from the Canadian Intellectual Property
Office is terribly vague on this issue, but from what I can see,
you should stick to the TM designation until registration is
complete; there's no indication that using (R) is actually
illegal, but it is misleading and incorrect, and CIPO considers
it a bad idea... and they should know.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Perhaps there is something deep and profound behind all those sevens,
something just calling out for us to discover it. But I
suspect that it is only a pernicious, Pythagorean coincidence." George
Miller, "The Magical Number Seven" (1956)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=