Re: Word 2000 HTML conversion

Subject: Re: Word 2000 HTML conversion
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:21:54 -0600

> Using Word 97 to convert a Word doc to HTML results in a lot of extraneous
> tags and a lot of manual clean-up. Someone told me here that Word 2000
> produces a tighter, cleaner file.
>
> Has anyone out there tried this? Confirm? Deny?

It's worse. Because Microsoft claims that you can round-trip
files from Word to HTML and back to Word without losing
formatting, they've had to add a ton of XML (pseudo XML,
actually, with a lot of non-standard namespace issues)
to each HTML document. When tech editing a new book on
MS Word 2000, I tested it with the classic "Hello, World"
and nothing else visible in the Word file, and came up with
just about 100 lines of code in the HTML document.

It might be a non-issue on an intranet, but you've got
enough bloat to be a serious issue on the Internet.

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=