Trellix report

Subject: Trellix report
From: Roz Ault <ault -at- FAXON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:40:45 -0400

Several days ago I asked whether anyone on the list had experience with
Trellix, Dan Bricklin's program that converts Word documents for posting on
the Web. Only one person who responded (thanks, Susan!) had much experience
with it, and she also posted her response to the list, so I won't repeat it
here.

Based on what I found out, though, I don't think Trellix is a particularly
good solution -- certainly not for us, and I doubt if it would work well
for most companies. Apparently, any time you want to make changes to Web
documents created by Trellix, you have to go through the whole Trellix
publishing interface; you can't just do quick HTML edits for minor updates.
It might be appropriate for someone who wants to publish a fairly complex
document once, but we need to keep our documentation current with frequent
changes, and several different people need to be able to work on various
parts of it.

The correspondence I had with a Trellix rep was not encouraging, either. I
had filled out a form on their site requesting an evaluation copy. All I
received in response was a message from a sales rep asking how I liked the
product. I responded that I hadn't yet received any information on how to
get a demo copy. The sales rep sent me a message with a URL supposedly
pointing to a good review (which yielded only a 404: File not found error),
and said she'd have someone else send me the evaluation copy. This was over
a week ago, and that's the last I've heard from them.

- Roz
-- Roz Ault, Information Technology
The Faxon Company, Inc.
mailto:ault -at- faxon -dot- com