Re: Need opinions - Work from home/security issues.

Subject: Re: Need opinions - Work from home/security issues.
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:46:14 -0700

All other valid issues aside, get together with the system/network admins in
your company. Find out what kinds of security they have in place and get
their advice on how to meet security standards for working at home. They
may already have people doing exactly that--like upper management types.

HR may be suffering some envy and reactively putting up roadblocks (which is
what is sounds like, because why would HR be concerned about security???)
but if, as you say, management is behind your idea, then you have some
power.

Another idea: get laptops and docking stations. My sister (an engineer for
a state agency) carries her computer with her everywhere. At work she docks
into the network, at home or in the field she works on the same computer.
There's no file copying or transferring, except onto the hard drive, and
your admin people can set security up the wazoo, just as they do a company
desktop. While I sympathize with your desire to come up with a no-cost
solution, in reality, the company *must* supply enough computers for each
employee. Having to share one computer is ridiculous. So they'll have to
buy new computers at a minimum. And if employees share a docking
station--they'll only have to get one instead of two. There must be a way
to work this out.

Good luck!

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com