NEW SEMINAR: Designing Int'l. User Interfaces

Subject: NEW SEMINAR: Designing Int'l. User Interfaces
From: Ulrich Henes <ulrich -at- HENES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:57:32 -0600

I'd like to draw your attention to a new seminar we are offering in
Stuttgart, Germany.

DESIGNING INTERNATIONAL USER INTERFACES
28-29 September 1999
Moevenpick Hotel, Stuttgart, Germany
(Located directly at the Stuttgart Airport)

This is the first time this course is being
offered as a public seminar.

Course leader, Richard Ishida,
Globalisation Consultant
Xerox

$1495 for the course (ca. 2800 DM, as determined
by the current rate of exchange), group discounts
available.

Details at: http://www.localization-institute.org
"Designing International User Interfaces" seminar

A two-day course with Richard Ishida on designing
effective international user interfaces.

This course helps people design on-screen
information and software in a way that anticipates
and avoids potential barriers to successful, effective
product localisation.

Although the course has proved decidedly useful at any stage
in the product development process, it is particularly effective
during the crucial early stages of the development cycle. It is in
the planning and design phases that correct, informed decisions
will have the biggest benefit on your bottom line - be it time to
market, cost, or customer satisfaction. These decisions need to
be driven by an understanding of the wide-ranging requirements
of international end-users and your localisation group.

***
"Designing International User Interfaces" agenda:

The case for multinational design

Why localise products? Can we afford to localise?

Cultural internationalisation

Appropriateness to the user, local user preferences, cultural bias

Assuring translatability

Key linguistic differences; processing translation
data; 4 localisation exercises

Handling global text

Large character sets; context-sensitive glyphs; combining characters;
text direction; linguistic boundaries, wrapping & justification; font
related
issues; sorting & case conversion; keyboard layout & short-cut keys;
review by script

Process issues

Building internationalisation into the Product Delivery Process; key
organisational enablers for internationalisation success; guidelines
review

This course will be repeated in early November 1999 in
Cupertino, CA.

The following seminars will also be offered in Stuttgart:

INTRODUCTION TO UNICODE

WRITING INTERNATIONAL SOFTWARE FOR WIN32

LOCALIZATION OVERVIEW

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ulrich Henes

PS: We do not want to send you unwanted email. If you would like to
stop receiving email from us, please send us a message with "Remove"
in the subject line, and we will promptly remove your name. Thank you!
Registrations:
The Localization Institute
4513 Vernon Blvd.
Madison, WI 53705
(608) 233-1790 Phone
(608) 233-3511 Fax
ulrich -at- localization-institute -dot- org
http://www.localization-institute.org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=