Re: security issues/telecommuting

Subject: Re: security issues/telecommuting
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- ALLDATA -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:04:38 -0400

I can respect the Anonymous Poster's perspective on the security of client
information and processes. It is a valid concern since the originator's HR
department made it an issue, and since most of the respondents have seen fit
to address the issue in their replies.

This issue here is not client security, however. If it were, all parties
would have begun immediately to work on solutions that would satisfy all the
needs of all the parties involved. The issue is how people in the workforce
are treated. Our particular take is on how technical communicators are
treated in the work place, since that is what we in this list are.

There comes a point where the company's concern for saving money must be
balanced against the need for a productive working environment--or at least
one conducive to productivity. I argue constantly (in a nice way, I hope)
that the cubicle environment is itself not a productive environment. To put
2, 3, and even 4 people in a cube that barely meets the space needs of one
is both intolerable as a working condition and stupid as a management
decision. And I will continue to find ways (nice ones, I hope) to point
that out to management when they ask.

Security issues are important, and I think every communicator in this list
would work very hard to address those legitimate concerns. All we are
saying is that management ought to address our legitimate concerns, too.
There are win-win solutions to such problems, as have been pointed out in
many posts on this thread.

Tom Murrell

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=