Re: Marvel at my stupidity--a reference for word lovers

Subject: Re: Marvel at my stupidity--a reference for word lovers
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:15:48 -0600

Knowing the etymology and historical variants of a word or phrase can be
relevant to our work (techwr-l tie-in). The most wonderful source I've found
for
looking up the evolution of words and phrases is the Oxford English
Dictionary
(OED). Check out http://www.oed.com for the online description--you can get
description, but an online version isn't available. One problem, I've bought
used cars for less than the OED costs. (I finally justified buying the
compact
version as a present for my husband. Fortunately, he's in the word-biz, too,
so
I can buy him presents that I want. :>)

If you look up a key word, such as "nine" or "yards" in the phrase "whole
nine
yards," it'll provide the earliest known usage of the phrase. I highly
recommend
it as reading, even if you have to go to the library to peruse it for a few
hours.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgchardt -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=