Re: Simple Verbiage Question

Subject: Re: Simple Verbiage Question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:10:37 -0700

Hi, Cheryle

I think using this word is based on the audience you
are writing for.

If you are writing for programmer-types, they know
this word, use that word and like that word.
Therefore, if you want them to feel comfortable with
the content, then you need to speak their language and
use their jargon, regardless of how you may feel about
the word...after all, you aren't writing for you,
you're writing for the reader.

Besides, "Screen Function" doesn't mean the same thing
and to be honest, doesn't convey the same meaning as I
would expect, if you think that Functionality is a
better substitute. I'd see it and even if I was able
to figure out the meaning from context, I'd always
think that maybe I was thinking something different
than you....maybe because the term "screen" could have
various meanings; are we talking about the function of
the screen (to display data) or the purpose of the
screen (as a place to enter data).

No offense, but if you believe that the weight of the
word "Functionality" is as shallow as "Basically" or
"Really". then maybe you should ask one of your SMEs
to explain what the word "really" means.

--- Cheryle W <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone else get the shivers over the word,
> "functionality?"
> To me, it is one of those "avoid at all costs" terms
> like "basically"
> or "really."
>
> That aside, I would go for something simple like
> "Screen Function"
> and leave it at that.
>
> Good luck,
> Cheryle

===
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
732-594-0873