Re: Department Documentation

Subject: Re: Department Documentation
From: "Metzger, Lucinda" <cmetzger -at- DUKANE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:50:29 -0500

Kevin Feeman asked:

"Just out of curiosity, what types of documents are standard for
Technical
Publication Departments? <snip> I assume typical Technical Publication
Departments
documents include: style guide, templates, document creation procedures,
document review procedures, and document approval procedures. Anything I
am
forgetting?"

You're on the right track. My group has two main tech writing binders: a
style manual that includes document templates, and a procedures manual
that describes all aspects of working in our department, including:

--How projects are supposed to be initiated
--When and how to use addenda
--How to obtain/maintain document numbers
--How to obtain product photos
--How to get schematics and wiring diagrams updated through our Drafting
group
--How to perform peer edits
--How to handle the review/approval process
--How to release a doc for publication
--How to publish docs on our website
--How to archive both the electronic doc files and the hardcopy history
files
--How to track our projects internally

At the back of the procedures manual, there are copies of all the forms
a tech writer may need to use, plus other miscellaneous stuff like a
list of all the cost centers we are required to track our time under,
and a list of current account numbers to be used for purchasing
requisitions and the like.

HTH,
Cindy
cmetzger -at- dukane -dot- com