Re: Engineer to Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Engineer to Tech Writer
From: shelly -dot- l -dot- hazard -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:38:53 -0700

Megan,

If you enjoy writing - go for it! I'm not sure the pay scale can get as
high as for engineering (someone want to correct me here?), but the pay is
good and most times, the work challenging and enjoyable (or so I find).

Karen Stanzler wrote:
<<It carries a lot of weight with employers because it tells them
that I can think like an engineer, communicate in their language, yet write
for end-users. I stand with one foot in both worlds and I wouldn't want to
be any place else.>>

This is right on the mark, Karen! I couldn't have said it better! I too,
am an engineer (electrical) turned technical writer (though writing is
something I had always wanted to do). I find I get more respect from both
engineering and marketing because I have an engineering degree. One of the
guys was amazed when I told him I had an degree in engineering (his comment,
"Wow, I figured you just got an english degree or something") and his
attitude toward me changed remarkably.

Just my 2cents worth!

Shelly

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=