Re: Use v. utilize (was Re: Simple Verbiage Question)

Subject: Re: Use v. utilize (was Re: Simple Verbiage Question)
From: "Calderhan Y. Squeeb" <cysqueeb -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:08:25 CDT

I have never used the word "utilize" for this very reason. I learned
something from the post pointing out that "utilize" differs from "use" in
that it signifies "make utile". In truth, I've never used "utile" either,
and don't plan to. There may be a place for "utilize" in esoteric writing,
but it certainly doesn't belong in writing where clarity and simplicity are
priorities.

I think "utilize" is a silly, Dilbertish word used by insecure persons
who think that a word so short and simple as "use" couldn't possibly be
important enough to figure in their self-agrandizing prose. Such persons
also frequently use military metaphors to lend an aura of decision and
excitement to their otherwise mind-numbingly dull business activities.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=