Re: Task Oriented Documentation For Non-Task-Oriented Software

Subject: Re: Task Oriented Documentation For Non-Task-Oriented Software
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:04:17 -0500

You've posited two different questions here. The answer to the first
question, "Can task-oriented manuals be done in this environment?" is "yes".
We do such things using Clustar. We had a recent client who had such
intensely screen-based software, but the manual was written task-based, as
Clustar encourages.

But as you note, writing it that way will undoubtedly point out the true
orientation of the software design, so there's a second question "Should we
do this?" Management has to answer that. In our client's case, they let us
do it. Not every company is so understanding.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com