Re: Is Java a good class to take for technical wr

Subject: Re: Is Java a good class to take for technical wr
From: Chuck <writer -at- best -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 23:01:16 -0700

Julie,

Not to say that your approach doesn't work for what you do, but I want
to offer a counterpoint that I think illustrates why I think knowing
those things can be useful.

Because I'm advocating for end users, stiving to make the program as
easy to use as possible, I would not only want to explain the program as
it exists, but want to improve the program to make it better for those
end users. If I knew the programming language (at least the basics), I'd
not only be able to suggest to the programming team what changes to
make, I'd have a good idea of (a) whether the changes I recommend would
be technically feasible (as well as economically feasible), and (b) how
some of the changes might be made. I might even take some time to write
some quick n dirty demos to illustrate my ideas.

I'd also be able to understand why some programming decisions were
made--especially when those decisions were made in the interests of
making the programming easier, rather than making the program itself
easier.

Part of it may be me too. I may not know how to work on my car's engine,
but I *do* know how most of it works, the technical aspects--because I
want to know those things.

--
"Online help should ignore first-time users and concentrate
on those people who are already successful using the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

*****LEGAL NOTICE TO ALL BULK E-MAILERS*****

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any and all nonsolicited
commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.