Unisys in the news again

Subject: Unisys in the news again
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:36 -0500

Just thought you might be interested in this:

http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html

The talk is that Unisys is now going to start going after websites using GIFs.
While it may be "Chicken Little" talk, there is some possible legal grounds
(under "induced infringement" provisions -- if you provide a GIF that someone
uses non-licensed software to view, then you may be considered to have induced
them to violate the patent). For big sites, it's cheaper to pay the license
than fight it, so Unisys may get somewhere with this, at our expense.

Perhaps the time for PNG has come?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224