NOT THE SAME (was Java a good class?)

Subject: NOT THE SAME (was Java a good class?)
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- commsoft -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:16:06 -0400

I would just like to point out that Java and JavaScript are not similar like
Word and Wordpad are similar. JavaScript is not simplified Java. Java is a
programming language. JavaScript is scripting for hypertext markup.

Now, to answer the question: Is Java a good class for a tech writer to take?

It depends. Do you document Java applications? Do you plan to? Taking the
class may be very useful if you are documenting Java applications, but might
not be worth your while if you document farm machinery or medical equipment.

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis Software Corporation
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts
phone: 518.433.7698
fax: 518.433.7680
<mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>
<http://www.aptissoftware.com>

For usability sake, I would recommend JavaScript over Java (but it somewhat
depends on your situation).

- JavaScript is more compact and simpler to use
- Web users don't have to wait 6+ seconds for their Java plug-in to invoke
- JavaScript can be used for many of the same tasks as Java, without the
complication of include files, etc.

It sounds like you are on the programming track, so I would recommend
taking a Java class (and at least try out JavaScript as you go along).

For those who just want to make a few web tricks, though, I would recommend
starting with JavaScript.

I was almost going to sign up for a Java course yesterday, but I think I'll
just
buy some software and a book instead. I don't know that much about Java,
but I am a JavaScript advocate. : )