Re: [techwr-l] Unisys in the news again

Subject: Re: [techwr-l] Unisys in the news again
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "Arlen P Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:37:11 -0400

The time for PNG won't come until more browsers support it. Microsoft has
yet to build PNG support into its Mac browser (although perhaps it's in
IE 5 for Mac, due sometime this fall), and Microsoft's support for it on
Windows appears to be spotty and full of bugs.

Netscape, Opera, and (on the Mac) iCab seem to support it well, however.

See http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/pngapbr.html for the details. I've heard
it said that until the next-to-most-recent generation of browsers
supports PNG, it won't really have established itself, which makes sense
to me.

As far as the Unisys thing goes, their agreement seems to indicate pretty
clearly that graphics created with a licensed utility (virtually all
commercial graphics packages that create GIFs) are OK, and since the
burden of proof would be on Unisys to show they weren't created with a
licensed utility, I'm not too worried about the GIFs on my site or in my
PDF files. Of course, I'll also let the companies for whom I'm producing
do the final worrying.

Just a few thoughts, not necessarily worth the electrons they're printed
on...

----->Mike

On 08/31/1999 9:36 AM, Arlen P Walker (Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com) wrote:

>Perhaps the time for PNG has come?

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman