Re: An encode/decode system

Subject: Re: An encode/decode system
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 12:22:15 -0400

jktan -at- ctlsg -dot- creaf -dot- com wrote:

> Do you say "an encode/decode system" or "an encoding/decoding system"?

I'd try to avoid the slashes and use "a cryptosystem" or "a system
for encoding and decoding audio" or whatever, depending on the type
of coding under discussion.

With a very few exceptions ("and/or" and "input/output" are the only
ones I can think of), I avoid those slashed terms since I consider
them abysmally bad style.

In many cases, you can just use "a coding system" since the ability
to decode is part of such a system.