Re:Long Distance Job Hunting

Subject: Re:Long Distance Job Hunting
From: "Kasie Snyder" <Kasie -dot- Snyder -at- pulse -dot- com>
To: "Anonymous Poster" <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:03 -0400

If you have considered the Northern Virginia/DC area, please send me your
resume. I currently have an opening that pays relo.
-Kasie

Subject: Long Distance Job Hunting
Author: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com (Anonymous Poster)
Date: 9/2/99 3:27 PM

I hope that others on this list can give me some insight and suggestions
about long-distance job hunting. For the past four months, I have been
conducting a job search in several locations that are long distances
from my current location.

After four months, about all I have to show for my efforts to this point
is one interview, a good bit of expression of interest from potential
employers, and a lot of frustration on my part. Several times, it has
seemed that something nice would break, but each time there has been an
unexpected snag: the company decides against bringing someone in, a
local candidate who fits the bill well enough appears, things like that.

I should add that I have a solid background and that I interview well.
There has been no indication that there is a problem with me. It just
seems to be circumstances. I routinely receive expressions of interest
in my current city from people I have worked with before. However, I do
not feel drawn to accept anything that would require a commitment to
stay here.

So, I wonder how other people on the list have navigated through this
process successfully. I would be greatly interested to read the
strategies and tactics that work, and what you think it was that you did
to bring a long-distance job search to a successful end. I entered this
process with a great deal of enthusiasm, but now I am floundering
somewhat and starting to second-guess my actions and approach.

TIA to all who have insight to share!

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.

As a leading service provider to technical writers, we are proud to sponsor

Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: Kasie -dot- Snyder -at- PULSE -dot- COM