Defined Process For Creative Thinking?

Subject: Defined Process For Creative Thinking?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:50:32 PDT

Question to all listserv members:

Responding to a recent posting that I made referring to Process Maturity Level, several other listserv members stated that they where very con to the idea of predefined processes. They stated essentially that predefined processes will not "fly" in environments where creativity reigns supreme (e.g., entrepreneurial software development organizations). That creativity should not be stifled by any rules.

Doesn't creative analysis (and design) need to be conducted within the framework of a defined process?

For example, when performing a system (or task) analysis, I find that data flow diagrams provide structure needed for me to capture my creativity: without the rules imposed by the DFD technique, I find that my thinking goes all over the map and I can not tie the components of the system together.

Just as important, how can I efficiently and effectively convey my ideas to others if I don't document them according to a predefined (i.e., understood by all) methodology?

All responses appreciated.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)