Re: suggestions for documenting unlabeled fields

Subject: Re: suggestions for documenting unlabeled fields
From: "Jane Bergen" <jbergen1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Tech Writer List" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:19:20 -0500

I just "finished" (loose term as I want no one to know it was ME....)
a project documenting an inhouse inventory tracking monstrosity. They
(developers) left field names, controls, etc. unnamed, or sometimes
named with duplicate names, and many were misspelled. So were the
windows and dialog titles. They had a couple of windows with NO names
(yikes! I just told the poor user how to open it and referred to it by
its function), or windows with different functions but the SAME name
(i.e., "Receiving" but different functions). I nearly tore my hair out
and wore my teeth down to nubs, but I was told to never mind the UI,
it was "set in stone" with misspellings and all.

It happens.

Jane Bergen