Re: HTML vs PDF for online manuals

Subject: Re: HTML vs PDF for online manuals
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:54:14 -0400

Melissa Kucbel-Saumier wrote

> Our technical writing department was asked by the higher powers
> of the company :) to change our online manuals from PDF to HTML.
> As we do not agree with this change, we are trying to gather
> information on user preferences and usability of PDF vs HTML. Does
> anyone know any studies or articles on this subject that could
> help us justify our disapproval?

When I polled our users on this question a little white ago the answer came
back load and clear.

They want HTML for use on line for reference purposes.

They want PDF for printing for offline reading. (Or actual printed books.)

This certainly corresponds with my own experience with PDF. It is not an
effective online media. It is, however, a great pre-press media.

---
Mark Baker
Senior Technical Communicator
OmniMark Technologies Corporation