Re: An Inquiry for Academics

Subject: Re: An Inquiry for Academics
From: "Steve Fouts" <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:33:3

"George F. Hayhoe" wrote:

> I don't mean to sound pessimistic or cynical, but my
> perception is that the job market--even for PhDs--has
> changed little since the 1970s. My advice to anyone who
> misses the classroom is to look into training jobs in
> industry. The pay, the benefits, and even the job security
> are incomparably better, and I think you'll find the
> experience more satisfying in other respects as well.

I teach a noncredit class for a community college. I have
a BA so I can't teach for credit in Washington. The director
of the continuing ed group that I work for says she has a
hard time keeping instructors, especially for computer courses,
as they tend to get hired away by private companies at a
great rate. Instructional design and good classroom skills
seem to be of high value in private industry right now.

I think teaching is a blast, but I'm not going to quit my
day job.