RE: Technical Writing Courses

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Courses
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:09:57 -0400

I guess I'm a bit disappointed that people on the list didn't have more to
say about what sorts of courses they would recommend for Technical Writers
or those who want to learn about Technical Writing. I, too, was very
interested to see what people would recommend.

Perhaps I should not admit it, but I've never taken a Technical Writing
course. I have a BA and an MA in English, with a technical background of
having been a system analyst/programmer for a number of years before
becoming a Technical Writer. I've been doing Technical Writing for 10 years
now without ever having a course in it. The closest I've come to a class in
that time was an Information Mapping class that I took maybe 5 years ago.

I just wonder if I would be better off if I had a few classes to go with my
practical experience.

Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer, Alliance Data Systems, Inc.
CAD4A - (614)729-4364
Fax: (614)729-4499
mailto:tmurrell -at- alldata -dot- net