Re: Writing QA/Test and Acceptance Plan docs

Subject: Re: Writing QA/Test and Acceptance Plan docs
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:35:39 PDT

Karen Field asks:

I've been asked to write a Test and Acceptance Plan doc for one of our products. No clue! Never done this before. (I'm a lone writer, so I get every writing opportunity that exists around here.) Can anyone who has done this send me some sketchy guidelines about what goes in such a doc? Also, is the language more like a functional spec ("The system does this") or a user guide ("Do this and this").

Tony Markatos responds:

Karen, I have significant experience creating systems level test test cases (a primary component of a test plan). I also create clear and concise test procedures. I think I know where the person who gave you this assignment is coming from. Goes like this: the main input to creating a test plan is valid requirements specifications; however, since nobody has valid requriements specs, the end user manual is often used instead.

And, if you wrote the end user manual, who better to write the test plan.

There are many software test related books that outline suggested test plan contents. Big time guru author -- Glenford (I think that is his first name) Meyers. Very readable!

Tony Markatos