RE: Motivation For Overtime?

Subject: RE: Motivation For Overtime?
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:10:26 -0400

There is not much that will motivate me to work overtime. I am a firm believer
that if a job cannot be done within normal working hours, one of two situations
exist:

* Either I am not working efficiently, or
* There is too much work for one person.

Having said that, I will qualify that statement by saying that I do
occasionally work overtime. Situations that require overtime though must be
the exception, not the rule. My preference is to take work home, not to stay at
work. Give and take must also exist - if I work late as required, I don't need
anybody on my case when traffic makes me 15 minutes late for work, or if I have
to leave early to take my daughter to the dentist.

I work with many people who work evenings and weekends on a frequent basis. I
just assume they have no life <g>. I have a family and a home outside the city,
both of which I enjoy very much. I don't compare myself to others - quantity
of time worked does not equal quality. I am upfront about this at every
company I've worked at. I give my best, and don't plan on burning out any time
in the near future.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." --
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977